Interview with Wendy Arnett (Wendy Arnett), an employee of the company Zippo
- You came to work in the company Zippo itself, or is it a family tradition?
- In 1978 I was a young divorced mother and I was only 24 years old. I needed a job, and all the Bradford knew that the company Zippo - one of the best places you can go to work. George Blaisdell is characterized by particularly to young mothers who worked in the company, and young families are significant benefits. Unfortunately, I've never been familiar with Blaisdell personally - he died just a few months before I went to work for Zippo.
- How often in the company Zippo "family dynasty" when, for example, grandfather, father and son are all working in the same company? Or vice versa, the company new people who have no relatives there does not work?
- Some of Bradford says, "Be polite to all, never do not know in advance who is whose relative." Quite often the case is that the company Zippo are or have few relatives. Do I have the most at one time, all four of my brothers and sisters worked there. Right now in my Zippo has 2 sisters, cousin and my son. There are also workers who have no relatives there does not work, but this is rare.
- Bradford - a small town, all employees Zippo really know each other and are members of one big family?
- Of course, as in any family, there are differences. But when something happens to someone, you may want to help someone, you would not believe how much all responsive and willing to help and take part! Here is a story that happened to me. June 24, 2007 my son was in a serious car accident and was 2:00 in the balance of death while in the hospital in Rochester, New York. And our Zippo-family - everything, including the employees, the management, the owners of the company, ie everything - to help me in this situation. Vseo before they collected money to help me recover urgent expenses. My son had a broken back, had a lot of injuries and concussions. He was paralyzed and the doctors said it would be a miracle if he would walk again. There in the hospital, I spent 19 days with him. And the house we had to build a special ramp to bring the carriage with her son. So, while I was in the hospital, my colleagues from Zippo met at his house, do all cooked and had built a ramp for us at our arrival! Other colleagues have helped us at home, cooked for us, and so on - in short, I had only to say that I needed and I got it. I certainly know how to Zippo-family help each other, but when you find yourself the object itself of such assistance, it is simply impossible to believe. And my son finally started walking, and in April 2008 he again went to work! It was a miracle, and I would not have coped without the help of my colleagues. The company also provided me leave and then return to work part-time while I was still taking care of her son.
- Do you work in a department supervisor packaging - the words sound a bit boring, but what really is the job? There is space to creativity, as they say?
- In fact, nothing boring in my work does not. My duty - the final product packaging before shipping to customers, I also watch for her purity. We constantly train and train new employees. We are also working to improve the business processes, make up more effective methods, and so on ... In general, the work as work, nothing wrong with that!
- When I first joined the company, I worked in the processing on automatic machines, which were coated on most models of lighters. And then I graduated to, shall we say, a senior specialist of the controller and the line, which I was in 1990. For all the time of course, I've seen a lot of changes! It is not that all the changes at first seemed to be correct. But most people do not like change! Of course, it takes time to realize all that they have made a difference.
- And when times were easier to Zippo-family - 30 years ago or now?
- It's hard to say, I would not claim that they were easier or more difficult, times were just different ... But for example, smoking bans, increased cigarette prices and layoffs rather severe blow to the company.
- During your work in a company has had three presidents: Robert Gailey (1978-1986), Michael Shuler (1986-2000) and George Duke in 2000. Have any special memories of each of them and their time management?
- All of them were very concerned about the employees of the company! George has a special relationship at all, because it is both the owner of the company, as opposed to the others.
- And if you were the president of the company Zippo, what would you change?
- Well, I would do so, to ensure that production has increased enough to take back all the workers, who at one time were reduced or dismissed, and then hire another new :)
- You do polzueshsya products Zippo?
- Yes, I like to give them basically. I myself do not smoke, so the house is used only household gas lighters Zippo. A range of leather products like wallets Zippo!
- Thank you, Wendy :) One last question - what do you wish rossyskim Zippo collectors and on behalf of all the big Zippo-family?
- Thanks for the brand loyalty Zippo! Collecting for your pleasure! :) I wish everyone to be happy, and occasionally come to us in Bradford for meetings of collectors, and just come - shall be very happy to meet any of you!