Master miniature masterpieces Claudio Mazza (Claudio Mazzi)
Claudio Mazza - the only artist airbrush, authorized by Zippo to work with their products. Each lighter sold his work authorized by Zippo and entered into a special database Zippo-Italian club. In Claudio tremendous assistance provided by his wife Antonella Mazza, who is also president of the Italian Zippo-club , which consists of more than 500 participants.
Maestro Mazza managed to find time in his busy schedule and gave an exclusive interview to Zippocollector.Ru. This is the first interview with the artist, published in Russian. I want to express my thanks to Antonella Mazza (Antonella Mazzi) for assistance in preparing the material.
- How did your art career? When did you start to paint, and where did you study?
- As a child in Florence, I saw a picture of the great Leonardo da Vinci, they amaze me and captured my voobrzhaenie. They have had the greatest influence on my decision to become an artist. In 1979 I enrolled in the Institute of Art A. Venturi in Modena in 1984 and graduated with a Master of Arts in the field of graphics and photos. The five years of training have given me invaluable experience and shaped my love of hyperrealism paintings. At the time I first saw the airbrush and it was, as they say, love for life. Since then, he has become my main instrument, and still offers me his secrets.
- When did you start to draw on the lighter Zippo? Do you collect them before?
- In 1995, I met with the president of the Italian branch of Zippo at the show, where I worked for the company Ducati Moto, and we decided to try to do something with Zippo. I was the first artist airbrush poprobovavashim draw on lighters. The very first test was very simple, something like the picture with the lightning, but the result is very much the representatives of the company and I got a Zippo official authorized status and the opportunity to work with lighters Zippo. C now until 2008, I worked for the Italian distributor, Zippo Italia. Since 2008 I have been working on their own, directly on the orders of collectors and members Zippo Club Italia. I am the world's only authorized artist airbrush, officially working with the products Zippo.
The very first Lighter Zippo, that I saw was a model called «Vespucci», manufactured for the Italian market - I bought it as a gift for my father when I was 20 years old. I loved Zippo with colorful, realistic images, but then I do not kolletsioniroval them. I collected stamps, which he loved for the same beauty and realism.
- How much time does it take to develop a model of lighters, from the idea of drawing and ending with the first instance of a painted? You draw the first sketch on paper or canvas before you transfer it to a lighter? How long does it take to create a lighter, after the sketch is ready?
- It is difficult to answer this question, it all depends on the particular design. Sometimes you need to just play the pattern, if it is simple, we can handle a few hours. Sometimes when rabotash with a complex pattern-to-order, to create a lighter and it may take a week or more. Sometimes I come up with a prototype, and paint it on your computer or directly to the cigarette lighter - usually when I'm creating a series of lighters and need to create some sample sketches. Draw serial lighters much easier, and usually I can draw multiple instances of the day, if the pattern is not too complicated.
- You work every day, or only when the inspiration comes?
- My time is a minimum of 12 hours, sometimes 15-16 hours. Sometimes even have to work on Sundays, and sometimes I still do not have time!
- How to choose a subject for a picture on the cigarette lighter? You come up with it yourself, or the company Zippo orders you specific subjects to paint?
- Since I work directly on the orders of the collectors, I can choose any topics and subjects for pictures on their own, but the company Zippo, it shall approve each sketch. If the order is an individual, the lighter in a single copy, the customer can provide any subject for a picture, it can be a photo of his wife, children, dogs, etc. When working on a serial lighters that are made for my sketches, but mass produced in a factory Zippo, we work closely with the company Zippo - they tell me about their wishes for the picture, I can express their wishes.
- How many Zippo lighters you drew in my life?
- Can not say exactly, but I think at this point somewhere around 11,000.
- What are you drawing, except lighters?
- Earlier this did not play a big role for me, but now I'm focused on certain surfaces for creativity: my main canvas - is Zippo, at least I'm drawing pen and pocket knives. On this canvas I paint only certain subjects, which the company put it in my Zippo lighters.
- You work as an illustrator or artist to other publishers or magazines?
- In my 20 years I painted calendars for the company «Maserati Cars», it was in 1991-1992 ... Now on outside work I do not have time.
- If you are solo shows?
- Yes, quite often there are exhibitions in which I present pens his work. The last time these were in the U.S., in Atlanta and Washington.
- Do you have students that you pass the skill and secrets?
- Previously, I taught courses that teach his technique Airbrush. But I think that the style of art in many ways opredlyaetsya originally laid to waste and the artistic "flair." In the end, the airbrush - this is just a technical tool for the artist. At one time I also had and assistants, but in fact their help was not enough and I was not completely happy with, so over time I came to realize that I work exclusively by himself. Maybe from this reduced performance, but the quality is definitely growing.
- What, in your opinion, is the best and most favorite lighter, ever painted by you?
- An artist is difficult to answer this question. As a rule, the last work and often seems the best. Also, of course, there is a big difference between serial lighters and order a single copy. I think I still have a lot I can learn and the best my lighter, I had not yet created. Although there is probably just today I draw the best - with a portrait of my wife Antonella!
- You do not seem to have been to Russia? Want to say something Russian collectors Zippo?
- Yes, unfortunately, I was not in Russia, but would love to come. And all Russian collectors, I would like to say: "I hope that this little story about my work interest you and we can see some of you at the meetings of the club Zippo Club Italia. We have visitors from Japan, the U.S., India and around the world, and you, too, we will be very happy! ".
In conclusion, I will add that some of the serial Zippo Mazzi can buy at a discount to our partner store Dostavka-Podarkov.Ru: